Saturday, March 29

CIO Day 1 Update

For those of you who thought I would chicken out and not do CIO last night (myself included!), you were wrong! Yeah for me!!! I almost didn't do it because around dinner time, my hubby starts talking about how he didn't want our beautiful little baby girl to have to cry her head off. But luckily he came around and we did it.

So now for the results of day one... it was A LOT better than I thought it would be. I was expecting it to be a long and very loud night. I fed her yesterday evening and made sure she was awake, which she was but decided to leave her with her pacifier. If it fell out, then I wouldn't give it back to her. I laid her down and she was looking around but peaceful, said goodnight, and then left the room. After a few minutes, not a peep from her! I kept waiting for the blow to be lowered... but nothing! I went back in to check on her after 30 minutes and she was fast to sleep. I couldn't believe it! I woke her at 11 to feed her and she stayed konked out the whole time that was going on so no problem then either.

Well, at 3:30 (the time she has been always waking up to eat) I heard her start crying. She obviously was not hungry this time since we had fed her a full bottle at 11, so really she has programmed herself to wake and eat at this time. I went in after 5 minutes said "you're okay", patted her, and then left. Then the wailing set in. Went in again after 10 more minutes and did the same thing. At 25 minutes she was back to sleep! Yeah!!! Not too bad. Well, she woke up again around 5:00AM and I did the same thing. I actually changed her diaper at that time cause she was soaking wet but I didn't pick her up, just left her in the crib. She cried 30 minutes after that and then was back to sleep. Then she woke up at 7:00AM. So not a bad night considering!

So you may ask, well how did today go? Why let me tell you. :) Great! She took a 1.5 hour nap this morning, a 1.5 hour nap this afternoon, and a 30 minute nap this early evening. At all 3 naps she cried less than 5 minutes and didn't have the pacifier at all, just her blankie. Yeah!!!! Part of the problem I think was also my fault. I think I have been trying to get her to go down for naps sooner than she needed to. I took any fussing as a sign she was tired. But I think that's not the case, sometimes she just needs a change of pace from what she is doing while awake or just needs to sit back and relax. Guess we'll see if this nap schedule keeps up or not.

Tonight I'm planning on not giving her the paci when she goes to bed. I want to completely cut that out for going to sleep. I just have her use it if she's fussy or I let her suck on it some while she calms down in my arms before naptime.

Guess we'll see how tonight goes! But so far, so good. This is SO much better than having to rock her and put all the effort we were having to to get her to go to sleep!! And so much more healthier for her. Thanks for all the prayers sent my way! Keep praying that she does well with it!

One more thing, since I had her on a better nap schedule and she was awake for longer increments, we decided to go grocery shopping this afternoon and I put her facing forward in the bjorn. She LOVED it! I knew she was going to be awake for awhile and not fussy. And she LOVES looking around at things. It worked out great!

Yeah! for a great day so far! Now I am off to eat a delicious dinner that Matt has cooked, put Lily to bed for the night and then watch Transformers!

1 comment:

The Tylers said...

That is great! I've been wondering all day how it went. I'm proud of you!