Wednesday, April 23

mother's day and perseverence

Yes, I do know that it is not mother's day. :) Although I am excited about my first official mother's day even though I was technically a mom last year at this time! Crazy to think that Lily was in my belly as little as a seed probably last year. Anyways... the pastor at our old church in virginia beach asked Matt to come and preach the last time we were there visiting. Matt gave him a few sunday's we were available and he chose mother's day. At first Matt didn't realize that sunday was mother's day and when he did find out, he was a little scared. But I told him he didn't have to preach about "moms." He had already decided what he wanted to talk about anyways. I'm kind of glad he's doing it that day. It will make my first mother's day even more special to have my husband preaching. :) I'm so proud of him, and I'm so glad when he gets these opportunities because he loves to do it and to share his thoughts from God with others. Needless to say, we will be in virginia beach for mother's day staying with Matt's family this time.

Last night in my devotional, it was talking about perseverence in reference to James 1:2-4. That passage says "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." God says we are to count trials as JOY. Wow - that's a tough one. It really made me think about my last "trial" and how it in fact did make me a better person. Trials always do. Even though they might seem neverending or serve no purpose, God has let that trial occur in our lives to produce a better "me" and "you." Can I say in the midst of trials "I am joyful that I am going through this?" Most times unfortunately, that is not the case. I need to grow in this area and be thankful for the hard times as well as the good. The author of the devotional said "obstacles in our lives purify our undersatnding that our dreams are really God's dreams." How true. When we meet a trial or obstacle, we realize that we are not in control. God is in control of our lives and He knows EXACTLY what we need, not what we think we might need. So as I asked myself last night, I also challenge you to ask yourself when your last trial was and what your response was to it. Did it produce something good?

P.S. - I have a long ways to go in my walk with God. So when I write about spiritual things or challenge others, you can take it or leave it for what it is worth. :) My hope is that while God teachs me new things, He can also use me to help inspire others as well.

No comments: