Saturday, March 14

sleepovers?

Okay... so as a mom of a 15 month old, I'm not a fan of my little girl "sleeping over" at the grandparents houses like I'm sure they wish I would let her do. First of all, she's 15 months old for heaven's sake. She doesn't get the concept of a "sleepover" or think it's extra special to sleep somewhere else. In fact, she doesn't like sleeping in strange places or places that are other than her familiar room and crib! But besides that point, I just have a hard time knowing that my little baby girl wouldn't be sleeping in the same house as me. And it's not like she's a poor sleeper or disturbs matt and I so that we don't get alone time at night. Lily goes to bed at 8PM and gets up at 8AM, not anything in between.

Now I don't think this is abnormal. I believe that most moms out there of young kids (babies, toddlers, preschoolers) probably feel the same way about this and do the same thing as me (not let them do it). Granted, I could be completely wrong. So, if you're a mom... leave a comment and let me know your take on the matter.

It's my turn to be a mom and have a little daughter and I'm going to do what makes me and Lily the most comfortable. Anyways... that's my soap box for the day.

6 comments:

The Tylers said...

I'm with you. I don't feel like there's a reason to let her do it unless you need a break... which it doesn't sound like you do. You're right, it's not special to her, and honestly, don't you think she wouldn't like it, being away from home and her comfort zone at night? You are her mom and you know what's best for her.

Kelly said...

Sydney was 15 mo. The first time she states overnight with my parents. Much later at my MIL's haha. They actually both spent the night with my parents last night. I love it, it is a nice break, but my kids get up earlier than I would like;)
Actually lately it's been more out of convenience if we have something to do that will be late and Mom doesn't want to watch them at our house. And we can't find another babysitter.

LoweFamily said...

I would agree with you there! I am not sure WHEN I will be comfortable letting Adeline sleep over grandma & grandpa's, unless I am in the hospital having another baby. My brother and sister-in-law are quite different in that category. They are always dropping my 2 1/2 year old nephew over since he was 1. But many people have different opinions on that matter. You're a mom- do what you feel comfortable doing. :-)

Dawn said...

I'm sure you know my take on the matter. ;) No way. No how. Aint happening. Honestly, I'm not even sure I'd let my 5 year old do it if we were even in the same town. But maybe that's just paranoia. What I want to know is what exactly is a 15 month old supposed to get out of sleeping somewhere else...? Curious which side of the family is pushing this one ;)

Dawn said...

Oh & you know I wanted CHRIS at home here with Ava at nights when I was in the hospital after having Cecilia & Owen!

Anonymous said...

ok I am going to be the odd man out on this discussion but ya know I had a really hard time letting Andi stay overnight without me at first and now even though I miss her ALOT when I let her go it is nice every once in awhile. Of course it's alittle different for me b/c my parents don't get to see her as much as yours do now. Like last weekend my mom asked if she could keep her b/c it had been a month since she saw her. But Andi really does seem to enjoy her time at Granny's...she gets so excited and sometimes cries when we leave. I know they spoil her and I have to kind of bite my tongue on that one b/c I know I loved that about my Granny growing up but they are also good at sticking to her schedule so I don't complain. I'm with you though on the fact that I don't feel like I need to send her off b/c Andrew and I still get our alone time...I guess with me it's mroe so b/c I want her to have a close relationship with her grandparents like I have with mine and that can be harder not being in the same town so a night or 2 every once in awhile is worth it.