Monday, October 13

australia-isms

We've been having a great time with matt's aunt and uncle from australia. They're great!! Sure wish we lived near all his mom's family from australia. I would love to go and visit someday but financially that's not happening anytime soon!

Anyways... I'll write more about the weekend later once I'm home but I just had to write down a few "australia-isms" before I forget them! It's so funny how many different terms/slang words, etc. that are different than ours. Here are a few of my favorites...

"bloke" - they use this term for just a person... like us saying "that guy"

"bog in" - they say this for the term we have "dig in"

"the loo" - this is their term for the bathroom/toilet. By the way, they think it's odd that we say we're "going to the bathroom" when we mean we're going to use the toilet. In Australia their toilet rooms are usually always seperate from their actual bathroom (where the bath is). So it makes no sense to say you're going to use the bathroom since the toilets aren't in there most times.

"they go together like a house on fire" - one of their phrases to say that something goes really well together

Well... that's all I can think of right now. I'll try to remember more later. There's one more word that I don't want to write down because here in American it's a bad word for someone but apparently in Australia it's a friendly term they use for each other... hilarious!

And it was so sweet, when I met Uncle Ron for the first time he said "you're so beautiful" in his wonderful thick australian accent. They're really great! Wish our visit with them could be longer but Matt has to be back at work on Wednesday. We head home tomorrow afternoon.

2 comments:

The Tylers said...

The "house on fire" one doesn't make any sense to me?? A house and a fire go well together? Not so much.. I want to know the bad word one!! :)

Laura said...

Lily is so cute!! I love her sweet little smile! Thanks for reading my blog- it's kind of addictive. My boyfriend is in Korea until March '09, and although we're not officially engaged, we are getting married next year sometime. It's just hard for him to put a ring on my finger 8000 miles away:) I would love to visit Australia too- someone needs to start playing the lottery, then we could all go!