Tuesday, January 20

Obama and my spirited Lily

Today was inauguration day and a big one at that for our country and the world. I will say up front that I did not vote for Obama but I am excited about his presidency and what good change he can bring for our country. Obama is very presidential looking. He has a great demeanor and is an excellent speaker. That isn't everything or the most important things but it does matter quite a bit when you're in such a high position as he is. He represents our country now to other countries. It was very exciting watching the big event today and getting to listen to his speech. And what a great one it was! Just hoping he can live up to all that he has to say in those eloquent speeches! His wife is gorgeous and his two little girls are just adorable. Well... enough about that subject and on to more important things....

Lily of course! I have a feeling she is going to be quite a toddler/preschooler! I think she will be in the "spirited" category like her cousin Ava, which like all personality types can be a good thing and a bad thing. She has been showing her true colors lately. The past few days she has been VERY opinionated about what she wants and when she wants it. For instance.... we were in Target walking by the kids section and at the end of one of the aisles was one of those things that holds all the balls. Well she starts saying "baw, baw" because she sees them and obviously wants them. I get one out and play with it for a minute and then put it back to leave. I think all hell broke loose! She screamed like a true "fit" scream like I have never heard her do before. Of course I just ignore it and keep pushing her stroller. Meanwhile I'm thinking... man I'm one of those moms who other people probably look at and say what is up with your child? Can't you make her be quiet? And my answer to that is obviously..... NO I can't! At this age there's not anything you can really do about those crying/yelling incidents. She's not old enough for "time outs" yet because she doesn't get it. And I can't just have a conversation with her like she's going to understand everything I say! From what I've read, at this age it's just best to either distract or ignore the behavior. Which is what I did... just kept right on going. She, of course, got over it and was fine eventually.

But isn't she a cutie?!!And a funny/sad story for the morning.... I had put together a big tall box for packing stuff this morning and Lily had gone over to it. Well she is trying to lean over the edge to see down in to it and goes head first down in to the long box!! It scared her to death more really than hurt probably. Even though I feel sorry for her it was funny too seeing her dive in there. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't remember how I cam across your blog, but I bookmarked it. I thought you might have some good "youth group" ideas for us. :) Anyway...
I am right there with you on the new president issue. I hate seeing peoples bad attitudes. (on both sides...peolple either think "Good Riddence Bush" or "Welcome to the 'End'") But I totally agree with your take on this. I didn't vote for Obama either. BUT, he is our new president and I think he can bring about some great and needed change for our country.
Okay...just had to throw my 2 cents in. I hope it makes sense!