Thursday, July 9

july 4th and fun playdates

July 4th festivities: We went to the pool party at matt's parents in the afternoon. Here was the scary drama of that event... Lily wanted to get in the pool but I wasn't ready yet and wanted to eat my lunch. So my mom (who had on her bathing suit) said that she would go ahead and get in with her. I, of course, said that was fine. A side note before I continue - my mom does NOT know how to swim. Anyways I was right near the pool eating my lunch when I look over and my BABY GIRL (and my mother) are under the water. You don't even know how SCARED to death I was and what an awful sight that was. I immediately went in to superhero mom mode, rushed over and pulled Lily out, and by that time my mom had come up. Lily was more just scared from it then really hurt at all. She wasn't in the water but for the few seconds it took me to get over there. What had happened was my mom didn't know that in matt's parents pool there is quite a sharp drop off to the deep end and it can be slippery. The rope marking where that happens wasn't up either. So she was just walking and slipped and fell down. I am a VERY VERY careful mom with lily around water too because I know things happen very quickly. Needless to say, I will be there IN the water from now on if my mom has her since she can't swim.By the way, I made these cute star shaped patriotic rice krispy treats for the cookout. They turned out great I think!After that traumatic event, we went to Ruby Tuesday's with matt's family for dinner. They had a buy one entree get one free for the 4th of july. Gotta love free food! Then we came home, put Lily to bed, and we watched fireworks on tv.

Sunday evening was the ice cream social at church. It was also the night that they showed the video from the Brazil missions trip. Jon did a great job putting the video together.

Tuesday Lily and I met Lyz and Brooklyn at Barnes and Noble for their storytime. It was the first one for Lily and Brooklyn. They listened for a few minutes and then of course did not want to sit still any longer. So they took off and spent the majority of the time chasing each other around in the kids area and looking at all the books. They had a great time despite not really listening to the story.

On Wednesday we met Mary and Abby at the Norfolk Botanical Gardens. They have this really neat kids garden area with a big splash water zone, slides, playhouse, etc. The girls had a great time running around in the water. Then we took them to the butterfly exhibit. You got to walk through this area where there were a bunch of butterflies just flying all around. It was a fun morning!Today Lily and I had Aaron come over for the day instead of him going to daycare like normal. Lily and Aaron had a blast playing together. First we went for a wagon ride...
Then we made a stop at the playground....
next was snack time....then came outdoor pool/water table play time...a bath to clean off...lunch from mcdonald's...a nap for both of them and then some yo gabba gabba before Missy came to pick Aaron up. Aaron didn't want to leave! I told him we'll have to do that more often. After I got both of them out of the bath and they were both naked, Aaron looks down at Lily and says to me "where did lily's 'ding dong' go?" HILARIOUS!!! I explained to him that only boys have "ding dongs" and that little girls don't.

Went to Target this afternoon to shop for Mary's baby shower and then stopped by Carter's. Got a very cute jean jacket for Lily for the fall!

Lily's new thing to say is "see me." That means she wants me to hold her. She seems to be understanding the concept of colors now and even pointed to a letter on matt's shirt and said "s." The letter she pointed at actually was an "s"!

1 comment:

The Tylers said...

Hahaha! The ding dong thing is hillarious! Sounds like you've been having fun, minus the pool incident!