Monday, October 29

37 Weeks and Full Term!

Had my weekly appointment this morning. Matt was able to go as well since it was in the morning. I still weigh 136 (haven't gained any the past 2 weeks) but she said this was fine cause I'm smaller and my total weight gain is still pretty good (22 pounds). I measured 35cm (down one from last week) but the midwife said this could be due to the baby coming down lower in my pelvis - so that would be a good thing.

We talked about my itchy stretch marks. They are SOOO incredibly itchy - I literally could not get to sleep last night for a long time because they itched so bad. She said there's unfortunately not a lot you can do for that. She suggested using Aveeno lotion that has oatmeal in it. She also said I could rub a little hydrocortisone cream on there as well if I needed to.

I am full term now (although my due date isn't for another 3 weeks) so I can go anytime and it will be fine. We talked some about things you can try to help soften the cervix and release the hormone that supposedly helps to bring on labor. She said that taking evening primrose oil has really helped a lot of women and also rasberry tea leaf (helps to get some contractions going). So I can start trying both of those.

I asked about whether they do vaginal exams and she said they don't really unless there's a need because there is no way to indicate how far away labor is from that. She said some women can be 3-4 cm for several weeks and others who aren't dilated at all can literally go the next day. So there's really no need to do them. At 39 weeks (2 weeks from now), she said that they can start doing membrane checks. Basically what they do is stick their finger up inside the cervix and rub around underneath the amniotic sac which will help to also soften the cervix and help with bringing on more contractions. They don't let anyone go beyond 2 weeks past their due date.

Once I turn 40 weeks, they will have me come in twice a week to see the midwife and also to have a non-stress test and ultrasound to make sure amniotic fluid level is good and baby is in no distress.

The baby's head is still in place well - right down in the center of my pelvis. I'll be having an ultrasound this Friday - they want to check the baby's actual position, amniotic fluid levels, and fetal growth. Matt is taking the day off on Friday so he will be able to go too.

Well - I think that's about it - enough for one appointment, right?!

No comments: